LinkedIn for Business Development: The Top 10 Gotta Do’s
The Top 10 Gotta Do’s of LinkedIn for Business Development Professionals
In other can I do with this thing to make money?
Important Note: These “Gotta Do’s” are listed in order of the importance of “Gotta Be Doing Them”
1. Gotta use Advanced Search Function once you have a lead or target
a. Find out which of your friends knows someone at the target company
b. Use keywords to search for names and titles
c. The more first level connections you have, the better this works
d. Joining groups helps with this, especially “super groups”
2. Gotta look at profiles of the new people you are going to meet or call
a. Find out about the person’s history
b. Find out about the person’s interests
c. Find out what the person thinks their company does well and how they fit in
d. Find that “one thing” that can start the conversation besides, “Hey, do you want some furniture?”
3. Gotta add “trusted connections” consistently
a. You know 200 to 250 people which will lead to over 1 million people in your network
b. You now can know who they know and who the people they know know, etc.
c. Every new first level connection you add will bring you many second and third level potential contacts
4. Gotta “beef up” your profile
b. Your story of credibility, experience and trust
c. Do you want to be found or do you want your competitors found?
d. Perform “keyword” search test in advance searching function
5. Gotta review connections of your first degree network
a. Who are they calling friends?
b. Who can they introduce you to?
6. Gotta look at the company profile
a. Find out what the “elevator pitch” is for the organization
b. See certain statistics
c. See not only who is on LinkedIn but who is “active”
7. Gotta keep track of what your network is doing and help them
a. Read status updates religiously; this is what is important to them
b. Offer help and assistance
c. Offer to connect them with others in your network
8. Gotta look up competitors (individuals and companies)
a. What are they saying about themselves?
b. Find out who they are recommending and who has recommended them
c. Find out what groups or associations they are involved with
d. Look at “Viewers of profile also viewed…”
9. Gotta join some groups
a. Helps in searching
b. Your industry and customer industry groups are important
c. Alumni, chamber and clubs help you with “I love doing business with people who are in the same groups I am.”
d. You will be found there
e. You can be smart there
10. Gotta spend some “purposeful” time each week on LinkedIn, with a strategy/plan, or don’t waste the time; instead, do some other form of networking. You can watch me present these and other tips on the WISN video blog with Kyle Blades () at: